The rise of jihadi groups across the globe, does not bode well for the US and its NATO allies, or for any country that shares our democratic values, from India to Australia to Europe.
As we leave Afghanistan the nature of our mutual enemy, the international jihadist movement driven by the supremacist ideology of Islamism, is such that after enduring 13 years of war, it stands stronger than the day it attacked the twin towers in New York and the Pentagon in Washington on 9/11.
Instead of draining the swamps to cure the malaria, the West has been shooting one mosquito at a time, refusing to admit the existence of this ideological swamp.
In a candid admission of not knowing what motivates the jihadists, Maj. Gen. Michael K. Nagata, commander of American Special Operations forces in the Middle East, said: “We do not understand the movement, and until we do, we are not going to defeat it. We have not defeated the idea. We do not even understand the idea.”
Gen. Nagata was referring to the Islamic State (ISIS), but ISIS is not the only example. Pakistan (nuclear armed) is the original “Islamic State”, the mother lode of the pan-Islamist movement, while the Islamic Republic of Iran and the Islamic Kingdom of Saudi Arabia together with the Muslim Brotherhood and its sponsor, Qatar, are all ISIS-like in varying degrees. When we add up the measure of 7th century Islamic theocrats arrayed against the West, we are presented with a weighty danger not unlike Japan and Germany in the 1930’s. Obama says that true Islam is the religion of peace, so were good Germans and Japanese peaceful. Unfortunately the price of this delusion was blood. There could be even more blood in today’s world. Swatting mosquitoes one at a time with multimillion dollar technology is not the solution.
We need to start with a honest view of the threat, build a strategy, find and implement tactics and methodically eliminate the horror. The people of the US need to speak on this issue. It is time to get smart and get involved.
Some of what motivates the jihadists is their love of death: theirs, yours, your children’s. Obama returning the Gitmo detainees to the battlefield only exacerbates the problem. Only Obama believes they will return to a pastoral life. We too must take the long view. We need to think of preservation of our values, our institutions and our lives.
- Obama’s legacy 12/27/2016
- Political Science: A Reply to the 375 Concerned Members of the National Academy of Sciences 09/27/2016
- Appomattox Republican Mass Meeting March 8, 2016 02/22/2016
- 2016 Presidential Voting Schedule 01/31/2016
- WHY EVERYONE SHOULD BE SKEPTICAL ABOUT THE CO2 GREENHOUSE 01/19/2016
- Greenpeace Speaks! 01/03/2016
- Climate Game 01/03/2016
- Zero CO2? 12/23/2015
- IT IS TIME TO TAKE A STAND 12/07/2015
- Thanks to Tony Heller 10/17/2015
- What’s True and What’s False in Obama’s Latest Global Warming Claims. 08/06/2015
- A co-founder of Greenpeace tells the truth on CO2 07/28/2015
- The left’s spin on Repbulicans and Climate Change 07/26/2015
- “I say this to Obama: Excuse me, Mr. President, but you’re wrong. Dead wrong! 07/07/2015
- Pope Francis’s Climate Encyclical Is Unwise and Should Not Be Acted Upon 07/04/2015